Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Free Choice by Peter Duffie - Trick


I hadn't heard of this trick until I bought it. I read the description and I decided to go for it. It was less than $10, and the trick seemed pretty cool.
So this is what the trick is all about. You have 4 kings. There are also 12 blank cards. The kings are placed face down in a row, and you ask someone to deal 3 cards on top of any of the kings. Then the rest of the cards are dealt on top of the rest of the cards. Each stack is shown to have 1 king and 3 blanks. Then, from each stack of cards the king disappears and is replaced by a blank card, which ends up being in the stack the spectator chose. In the end, all of the kings end up in the same stack miraculously.
This is a great trick. There isn't a video for this available, so the instructions are all text. At first I was a bit confused by the instructions, until I actually followed the instructions with the cards in hand. Then, I saw how easy it was. After practicing the trick a few times I was ready to test this out on some family. This trick takes some practice, and depending on your skills of magic you might find it a bit difficult - but don't be discouraged. This is definitely a great effect to know and show!!
Honestly, I have a lot of fun with this one. The vanishes of the kings look good, and the cards all really appear to be blank. The only downside with this trick is it is not examinable by the spectator. This effect really has wow factor, and people have no idea how it could be done. For this reason they will want to see the cards, but you won't be able to. So when I finish each vanish, I put that stack of cards away, one stack at a time, then allow them to see the last 4 kings no problem. Since the other cards are out of sight, they are also out of mind.

No comments: